Meeting Harvey Ezra

On Thursday, the 3rd of September, I was watching The Bachelor when, at around 8:30 pm, I started getting Braxton Hicks, which were a bit more intense than usual. I went to the toilet around 9:30 and noticed a light pinkish fluid [no mucus, just fluid]. I called my midwife, and she said to see how things go as it could just fizzle out - I then lost my mucus plug around 11 pm.

By then, contractions were 3 minutes apart, lasting for 45-55 seconds each. We stayed at home until about 1 am where I laboured on the bed and in the shower - my back was so sore that I had to get my husband to push on the pressure points in my lower back to ease the pain, but it got so intense that I started vomiting. We called the midwife again and decided to go into hospital.


When we arrived, the midwife checked me, but I was only 1cm dilated. She gave me a stretch and sweep to move things along and sent us home at 2 am to get some rest [no rest happened]. I contracted every 3 minutes, and they were getting stronger and longer. I had about 4 showers, and by then I was a bit hysterical and crying, so we went back to the hospital at 6:30 am as contractions were more intense and I needed some relief.


When we got to the hospital, they started me on the gas and inserted a cannula into my hand to receive the antibiotics - I tested positive for Strep B. I then hopped into the shower with the gas for about an hour and a half. Some of my waters broke in the shower, and I had sensations to push so the midwife checked me, at 10 am, and I was 8cm dilated [it was too late to have any pain relief]. My waters then completely broke, the contractions got stronger, and the urge to push was more intense.



The midwife instructed me to get into a few different positions as bub was posterior. I got onto all fours on the bed and started pushing, but I found it so difficult - I wasn't using the correct muscles as I just didn't know to push [the best way to describe it was trying to push out a constipated poo].


I was screaming and crying at this point saying 'I can't do it, I need some relief', but unfortunately, I couldn't get any medication except the gas [which was not very efficient]. I then squatted beside the bed and pushed more. The midwife said that I needed to make the next few pushes really count as bub was getting distressed and his heart rate was going up.


I started pushing with everything I had left! The midwife said that the next part was going to burn - then out came his head, crying already. His body came out next, which was the biggest relief!



I pushed efficiently for just over 2 hours - but in total, it was about 4 hours. I hopped onto the bed, and he started feeding right away. My husband cut the cord, and I got an injection to birth the placenta, which took about 10 minutes - the midwife pushed on my stomach and pulled it out. I noticed that I was bleeding a lot, gushing, so I told the midwife, and once she checked me, she called for assistance, where I had to have another injection to stop the bleeding. I had a postpartum haemorrhage and lost 1L of blood. I also suffered a 2nd-degree tear, so I had to be stitched up too.


It was all worth it in the end for my Harvey Ezra - born 1 day before his due date, on the 4th of September, weighing 7pound 9oz, 50cm long.


Continue reading

Meeting Goldie

Meeting Goldie

Mum on her knees supporting her abdo

Meeting Sienna James

Meeting Holly & Chloe

Meeting Holly & Chloe


Be the first to comment.
All comments are moderated before being published.